Bathroom Cabinet Makeover (Part 1 of 2)

For the past few months, I’ve been searching for a nice little cabinet to go in my bathroom.
But, I haven’t had much luck and this little guy has been sitting awkwardly in the corner since we moved in.
Sorry about the terrible iPhone pic…but you at least get the point.

I wanted a piece that would have lots of storage, but not be too large as to overwhelm the bathroom. I also wanted something cheap that I could re-do and paint a fun color.

That’s when this beauty came into my life while shopping at the Habitat for Humanity Restore…

Okay, maybe “beauty” isn’t the correct word. But, she sure was beautiful in my eyes.

She was the perfect size, perfect height, she had the perfect amount of space for storage…and best of all she was the perfect price. Only $10!
I got her home and tried her on for size in the bathroom.

She fit like a glove.

Next, I had to figure out how I was going to spruce her up.

Because the cabinet is metal (like a filing cabinet) and the top of the cabinet is laminate…I was in a pickle on how to best prepare her for a nice coat of paint.
After a bit of googling and a nice chat with the guy at Home Depot, I was armed with the supplies to tackle my new bathroom cabinet.


Mouse Detail Sander
120 & 220 grit sandpaper
Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer
Foam Roller
Paint Tray
Paint Brush
Painter’s Tape
Drop Cloth
2 cans of Valspar Spray Paint ($7)
TOTAL COST: $7  (Already owned everything, besides the spray paint)

First step…Sanding!
I can’t tell you how important this step is when you’re working on a project like this one. You need to remove all dirt and oils that may be built up on the piece, or else the primer and paint won’t be able to adhere to the surface correctly.
I used a 120 sand paper for the top of the cabinet, so I could really smooth out the bumps and scratches on the laminate.
I used a 220 sandpaper for the metal sides of the cabinet, because it really only needed to be polished a bit.
After wiping the cabinet with a clean cloth (to remove any dust from sanding), I used the painter’s tape to cover up a few metal parts that I didn’t want the paint to touch. It was then priming time!
I did a light coat of the Zinsser, using the foam roller on the big areas and the paint brush around tight spots.
After about 30 minutes, I did one more coat of the primer.

Now the hardest step….the waiting period!

Because this piece is metal, it can scratch easily if not prepared correctly. The primer may be dry to the touch, but it technically won’t cure for 7 days.
So even though I’m eager to get this bad boy finished, I must wait until next weekend to finish her up.
Stay tuned my friends…


Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestEmail to someone

Leave a Comment