Bridget: Much like Casey, I stick with the cool colored pillows as well. I find that I’m often drawn to blue pillows, striped pillows, soft geometric prints or pillows with a hint of nautical.
Rookie Pillow Tips
- Find pillows with a zippered, removable cover. That way you can keep the cushion and find new covers if you’re looking to change things up. Major cost saver.
- Zippered covers also come in handy for washing. You can easily toss it into the wash and you’re good to go!
- We try not to spend more than $25 for a single pillow. We try and aim for $12-$16. Look for steals, sales, and clearance sections. You can find some great stuff if you’re patient.
- Avoid being too matchy-matchy. That goes for color, texture, and pattern. Change it up and you’ll have a more appealing, layered look.
- Incorporate a wide variety of pillow sizes on couches and beds.
- As with most home decor, group pillows in odd numbers (we prefer 3’s & 5’s)
- Switch pillows from room to room around your home for a “fresh” look without a new price-tag.
- Only buy pillows that you absolutely LOVE; don’t just buy to buy. If you wait for a pillow you really love, rather than just settling with what’s in stock or available, you’ll tend to use it for a lot longer and will continue to love it every time you look at it, which is way better than always looking at that pillow and wishing you never bought it.
- Choose pillows that fit your style… no one else’s! With Pinterest, the blogosphere & every amazing Home Decor magazine putting you on decor overload, sometimes it’s easy to adopt someone else’s style rather than embrace your own style. Buy pillows that fit YOUR style, even if that style is different than what’s the most pinned. You’re the one that has to cuddle up with it at the end of the day… be proud!
- When you find the perfect pillow combinations, do NOT forget the most important part – – kicking up your feet up, cozying up on that adorable couch & enjoying all of your new fluffy friends!