Buying a new home isn’t just exciting for me, but I really feel like it’s an exciting time for The DIY Playbook. Many of you are in my same position…you’re in your 20’s or 30’s, perhaps you’re newly married, and you just put a down payment on your own little slice of real estate. So the big question is…now what?! You’ve got the house, but how do you make it a home?
That’s a great question, and it’s one I hope to answer here on the blog as we transform this space. I want you guys to feel like you’re a part of this process. I don’t just want to jump from ugly before pictures to gorgeous after photos. Instead, I want you to be there for the journey (even if it takes a while) because that’s how it works in real life.
When we bought the condo I chatted with Bridget and together we decided on a gameplan for how we’re going to tackle the influx of blog posts that will be happening here in the immediate future. And ultimately we both decided that we’re gonna take it slow and keep you guys in the loop every step of the way.
I’m going to blog about each room separately. Maybe not one at a time (I may go back and forth a bit), but I’ll have a similar blogging gameplan for each room. Here’s a general idea of what you can expect…
- Before Pictures of the Room & The Big To-Do List
- List of DIY & Design Ideas along with a Mood Board of Items
- Room Progress & DIY Tutorials
- Room Reveal
- Room Source List
I think this gameplan reflects the real decorating process, because in reality a space doesn’t go from blah to beautiful overnight. If I pretended that that’s the way it works, then I wouldn’t be able to help you guys transform your own spaces. And that’s the whole point of this blog right?
So what now? Well, we have some things on our immediate to-do list that we’re tackling before our moving day at the end of August.
- Sand & Stain Hardwood Floors: We hired a professional (not exactly a DIY project I’m qualified to perform) to get them darker and scratch-free.
- Paint All Walls, Ceilings, Trim, & Doors: I picked out some pretty grays (shocker!) and can’t wait to say “buh-bye” to the green master bedroom.
- Deep Clean: My hope is that we’ll have a few nights before we move to give the entire place a good deep clean. That means kitchen cabinets, windows, ceiling fans, appliances….dang I’m exhausted just thinking about it. But definitely worth it to start fresh!
- Window Treatments: I’ll at least need to get something to immediately cover the windows in the master bedroom, so we don’t give our new neighbors a peep show! Say goodbye to those flooded curtains…eek!
- Built-In Bookshelves: We are planning to have custom built-ins made for the large wall in the living room to hold our TV, books, and other styled decor. We’re using the same contractor who created the unit for Maggie’s condo (don’t worry…her after pictures are coming soon!) and we think it’s really going to transform the living space. The building & painting of the wall unit will take quite a bit of time, so you probably won’t see it until later this fall. I’ll keep you guys updated!
These general updates are underway right now, and I’ll have progress for you in the next couple weeks. From there, I’ll chat about each room as I actually tackle it in real life using the gameplan above.
I’ve also decided to keep things consistent on social media. If you want to follow along during the home decorating process you can follow #FinnsFirstHome.
Thanks to everyone for the support & encouragement this week. We are thrilled and I can’t wait to share everything with you! Have a great weekend. We’ll be packing away…