Art is an essential part of every home space. Not only does it add beauty and visual interest to a room, but it can also tell the story of the people who live there.
So when planning our Lowe’s home makeover, we absolutely knew we would need some new art for the bedroom. And whenever we need art, we always check out Minted.
Since there isn’t a ton of wall space in Mike & April’s bedroom, we decided to hang the gallery wall over the bed. We figured this would make a big statement on the wall that you see right when you enter the room, plus it would draw the eye up and make the ceilings appear higher #winwin
With the area determined, we started checking out the thousands of options available on Minted.
Tips to Curate a Gallery Wall
- Choose a Variety: Personally we love to incorporate photographs, typography pieces, and art. This gives it a very collected feel and keeps it interesting. We’re also very conscious of the colors we choose for the art, as we want it to feel balanced.
- Make it Personal: Art should be meaningful to you, and we’re not gonna lie…it was a tad difficult choosing art for someone else. However, we did chat with April & Mike about their hobbies, their likes/dislikes, etc. and we feel like we were able to choose some pieces that speak to them. Mike is into mechanics, so the picture with the gears reflects that. And since they’re newlyweds, we couldn’t help but add a cute little love quote onto the wall. One thing they did not want was personal pictures over the bed. And we totally understand that! It might be weird to have a picture of your parents or family members staring down at you while you sleep. Ha!
- Decide on Frames: The frame is the finishing touch on a piece of art, so don’t make it an afterthought. For this space, we went with black, white, and the wood herringbone pattern from Minted. We felt like this meshed well with the rest of the space and gave us the collected look that we wanted. When in doubt, we always use a thick white mat under the frame. It elevates any piece of art and instantly makes it look classier.
- Measure It Out: To determine the frame sizes and the number of pieces we would need for the gallery wall, we got out our trusty tape measure and painter’s tape. Knowing we had about 4 feet from the top of the headboard to the ceiling, we marked that out on the floor. Then we used the painter’s tape to play around with a grid of frames. We always think bigger is better when it comes to art, but some pieces we did have to go a bit smaller than we anticipated due to the 4 feet of space we had. It’s always good to order with a plan in mind, so we recommend our painter’s tape method. Then when you actually go to hang, we always recommend using wrapping paper or large paper to organize the grid before you put any holes in the wall.
- It Doesn’t Have to be Perfect: Honestly, we don’t listen to any “rules” when it comes time to hang. Instead we typically eyeball it and adjust as we go. We think the actual hanging is a 2-person job and will often hold it up and have another person step back to get a feel for what it will look like when hung. We try not to put any unnecessary holes in the wall, but we’ll admit we are not perfect. Again, the paper on the wall method is a big help when it comes time to hang your gallery wall!
We think April & Mike’s master bedroom gallery wall turned out pretty gorgeous. Here are links to all of the pieces we used in the space.
If you’re feeling a bit overwhelmed with all of the options on Minted (we feel ya…there are soooo many gorgeous pieces to choose from!) then be sure to check out our store on Minted. We’ve chosen some of our favorite pieces that we believe can work in just about any home. You can view our store right here.
And a big thanks to Minted for providing the art for this master bedroom makeover. We love partnering with brands that support our projects and these pieces were the crowing jewels on a gorgeous new space.
P.S. Today is Bridget’s Birthday! There was no way I could let this special day go by without giving her a little birthday TLC. Be sure to give her some love if you see her today!