This week marks 6 years of The DIY Playbook! Wow, the time really has gone by so fast! Since 2013, we’ve tackled hundreds of DIY projects in each of our homes and we’ve written over 1,500 blog posts. That’s a hell of a lot of home improvement ideas.
We thought it would be fun to compile some of our favorite tutorials into one big round-up for you guys to enjoy. Sometimes it can feel overwhelming to do home improvement projects on the weekends and you just don’t know where to start. We encourage you to just choose one of these ideas from our list (some take less than 10 minutes) and give it a try this weekend. Accomplishing one small task will likely motivate you to tackle another and another. And before you know it, you’ll have tackled a lot of the projects on your home’s to-do list.
50+ Home Improvement Ideas
We decided to group these projects by room, so you can choose one area of your home and give it a little attention this weekend.
Kitchen DIY Projects
- Replace your kitchen faucet in less than 30 minutes. You can even go for one with touch technology!
- Install a new garbage disposal (no need to call a plumber).
- Seal your granite countertops or marble tabletop.
- Add a subway tile backsplash on a budget.
- Get organized under your kitchen sink.
- Create a showstopping pantry where every item has a place to call home.
Bathroom DIY Projects
- Change your toilet seat with a fresh one (especially if you’re a renter!)
- Upgrade to a dual flush to save water and money.
- Install a new shower head for better water pressure.
- Clean your floor tile grout (tedious, but oh so satisfying!).
- Install a new vanity.
- Make a budget-friendly bathtub tray.
- Hang a new bathroom mirror with some serious style.
- Add some new storage ideas to your small bath.
- Add shelves over the toilet and style them using this as inspiration.
Bedroom DIY Projects
- Install sconces near your bedside for extra light.
- Replace your ceiling fan with a contemporary one.
- Add a wood wall treatment behind your bed.
- Paint your walls a fresh color.
- Replace bifold closet doors and add ones with trim.
- Hang an asymmetrical gallery wall (we have lots of foolproof hanging tips).
- Organize your jewelry in a dresser drawer.
- Install our favorite bamboo shades (& shorten them if needed).
- DIY book or picture ledges for your walls.
- Secure your leaning mirror so it’s safe when walking by.
- Hang temporary wallpaper.
- Style your nightstand using our tips and tricks.
Living Room DIY Projects
- Choose a new paint color for your walls with our help.
- Re-arrange your shelves for a fresh look.
- Add board and batten to your walls.
- Put some LED lights behind your TV for a fun look that will impress your guests!
- Make a DIY marble side table with only a few supplies.
- Clean your couch’s slipcovers in the laundry.
- Give your leather furniture some TLC.
- Hang a symmetrical gallery wall to make a big statement!
- Install a new light fixture.
- Add a wall of shiplap on the cheap.
- Spray paint the inside of your fireplace for a cleaner look.
- Style your coffee table with these ideas.
Outdoor DIY Projects
- Give your deck a clean and fresh coat of stain.
- Powerwash your sidewalk.
- Paint your front door a bright color!
- Make a new modern address plate for your home.
- Paint your garage door so it looks fresh and clean.
- Fix your broken screen door in less than 10 minutes.
More Home Improvement Ideas…
- Hang planters from the ceiling for some added greenery.
- Replace regular outlets with USB outlets.
- Purge and organize all of your paper clutter.
- Print our cleaning checklist and get ready to have a spotless home.
- Install fresh baseboard around your house.
- Upgrade to a smart thermostat.
- Create a DIY wood planter box.
- Buy some new indoor plants to freshen up your space.
- Purge and declutter all of your cabinets.
What will you tackle this weekend?
Wow, it’s pretty incredible looking back at all of the projects we’ve done around here. It’s nice to venture deep into the archives to see all that can be done around the house. We hope this list of home improvement ideas inspires you to tackle a new-to-you project this weekend. There’s no time like the present! Go out there and create your dream home.