It’s been a while since we chatted about skincare products and I figured it was time to give you an update. I’ve been getting a lot of questions about my skincare routine over on Insta Stories and thought it might be a good idea to dive deeper here on the blog.
Last we chatted, I was slowly trying to replace my toiletries with cleaner products. I didn’t want to throw out everything I owned and start over with greener alternatives, that just seemed way too overwhelming and intense. Instead, I’ve been replacing items as I’ve run out of them. I’ll read reviews, do research, and then buy products with a bit more confidence.
In my last blog post about clean beauty products, I listed tons of recommendations that you guys shared with me. If you need some good recs, that post is chock full of them for face wash, makeup remover, night cream, etc.
Green Beauty Reviews
So here are some of the green beauty swaps I made last fall and how I’m feeling about them about 5 months later.
I’m a lotion loving gal. I have to slather it on when I get out of the shower, so having a good one is a must for me. I used to just use any lotion that was on sale at the grocery store (like this Aveeno), but switched to this coconut oil after hearing rave reviews from you guys.
I love that the coconut oil is super clean and nourishing and I can see why so many of you guys raved about it. But I don’t love putting it on my body. I’m getting to the bottom of the jar right now and I have to use a spoon to scoop it out and then warm up the chunks in my hand to turn it into oil to rub on my body. I inevitably drop some chunks on the ground and it becomes a big mess. Maybe I’m doing something wrong here, but it’s kinda a pain to slather my entire body with this stuff especially when I’m in a hurry. I also have to let my body dry well before putting on clothing or they’ll get a tad greasy.
Will I Stick with It?
Probably not. So I’m currently on the hunt for a new body lotion. I may try something on the list from this post, or let me know if you have a good (clean) recommendation! I don’t want anything too pricey since I use a lot of lotion every day. Give me your favorites in the comments!
I’ve used Pond’s cold cream FOREVER and my mom still uses it every single day. I was really hesitant to give this one up, but ended up buying the Glossier milky jelly cleanser after hearing that it doubles as a makeup remover and face wash.
Sadly, this was another flop for me. I’m a big fan of Glossier products but this one didn’t do it for me. It didn’t take my makeup off fully and I felt like my face wasn’t super clean after washing. I was sad because it had stellar reviews online, but just not the right fit for me.
Will I Stick With It?
Nope. I quickly returned back to my beloved cold cream. It isn’t suuuper “dirty”, but I would love to find a cleaner replacement. But it has to be damn good to tear me away from my Pond’s. haha.
Before, I didn’t have a go-to face wash and just purchased anything from the grocery store. I then swapped it with the milky jelly cleanser last fall.
As I mentioned a minute ago, I was not a fan. It didn’t take my makeup off well and my skin didn’t get super clean. When I would use my toner after washing my face, I felt like my cotton pads still had tons of makeup on them.
Will I Stick With It?
No, but I already found a new product I love instead! This cleanser from Indie Lee is phenomenal! It’s super green (even on the clean list at Sephora), smells good, and gets my face really clean. I never thought I would buy a cleanser at a higher price point (it isn’t crazy expensive, but it isn’t $3 like my Clean & Clear was) but I think this skincare product is here to stay. Absolutely love it!
I really love it! It’s moisturizing without being too heavy and you can’t beat the price point. I will sometimes put it on during the day too when my skin is extra dry (which it has been lately with this awful winter weather).
Will I Stick With It?
Yes! But I also have another night cream I’ve been trying out. My mom got all of the girls in my family this amazing overnight cream from Clark’s Botanicals. She read about the Founder and why he created the company and instantly wanted to support the brand (you can read more about his incredible story here). This overnight cream is pricey (hence it being such a good gift), but wow it’s worth it. It goes on silky smooth, hydrates my skin, and has all clean ingredients. I also love that it has retinol, which is the best skin care ingredient for anti-aging. I’m trying to savor this cream for as long as possible, so I switch between it and the Cerave every other night or so.
My Current Skincare Routine
Here are my daytime & nighttime skincare routines and the full arsenal of skincare products I’ve been using…
My morning routine is a lot quicker than my nighttime one. Here’s what I do (just about) every morning before applying makeup.
- Indie Lee Facial Cleanser – Already told you how much I love it above!
- Beautycounter Rejuvenating Radiance Serum – I’m still not totally sure on this serum. It was pricey and hard to tell if I’m seeing “results.” I may try out a new one once I finish this bottle. But it is still a great serum!
- Glossier Invisible Shield Sunscreen – I wait a few minutes for my serum to settle in before applying this. It’s a lightweight moisturizer and sunscreen that I absolutely love! It goes on real smooth and really feels invisible! Plus, SPF 35 is a must.
- Tula Eye Cream – This is a newer purchase and I’m in love. It’s applied with a cold tip applicator and it feels sooooo rejuvenating when you apply it. This eye cream keeps the thin skin under my eyes hydrated and wakes up my face in the morning.
I used to loathe taking my makeup off at night and washing my face. It seemed like this monumental task when I was tired and ready to crawl into bed. Now I wash my face a lot earlier, usually before Finn and I relax on the couch for the evening, so I can do my full routine. It does take a little time, but I now look forward to it and it feels like a big treat to slather on all of my goodies.
Tip: Wait a little in between some of these steps so the products don’t “pill.” I’ll usually brush my teeth after applying serum before I apply any moisturizer.
- Indie Lee Facial Cleanser
- Pond’s Cold Cream – Just on my eyes to remove my makeup.
- Witch Hazel Toner – I used to not even know what toner is, now I use it every night. I apply this to a cotton pad and go over my entire face and neck to get my face really clean and remove any excess makeup. This toner is refreshing and super inexpensive.
- Tula Eye Cream
- Beautycounter Serum
- Colleen Rothschild Retinol – As I mentioned before, retinol is a skincare must but you have to be careful with it or you’ll dry your skin out. I use this one about every other day and I don’t use it on nights I apply the Clark’s Botanicals moisturizer (because it also has retinol).
- Clark’s Botanical Overnight Cream or Cerave Cream
- Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Oil – Finn got me this for Christmas (should I be concerned everyone is buying me skincare products as gifts??) and I’m officially obsessed. It feels so luxurious putting a few drops of this oil onto my face at night. I let my moisturizer dry fully before putting it on and it smells incredible. My dry skin loves it!
Whoa, that was a lot of information thrown at you. And guys, I’m not an expert at all. This is just what works for me. I’m always playing around with new skincare products and trying things out. This is the only face I’ve got, so I’m trying to take care of it the best I can.
I would love to hear about some of your skincare faves! Any skincare products you’re loving right now? The next time we chat about beauty, I want to discuss green deodorants. I’ve tried out a few lately and can’t seem to find one I love (holy sweaty & stinky!). Maybe we can discuss next time…