One of my favorite parts about DIY projects is when you take something that is heading to the garbage, and find a new life for it. That is exactly what happened with this project.
My mom has this old, rusty wheelbarrow that she uses in her yard for mulching. Well the thing was on its last wheel leg…as the wheel was pretty deflated and useless. She was just going to wheel it out to the garbage, and say her goodbyes. But that’s when we thought of a new purpose for the ol’ guy!
At first we thought we should spray paint our new “planter”, but ultimately we decided we liked the rustic look that this guy had going on. The worn, red color gave it an autumn feel and we knew that would fit perfectly with the plants and flowers we had in mind.
The first thing we did was drill holes in the bottom of wheelbarrow. This is to ensure proper drainage for the plants. With the help of a large drill bit, electric drill, and some safety goggles…we had 5 holes in no time at all.
Next, we found a spot in my mom’s front yard and wheeled this sucker into place. We decided to angle the nose of the wheelbarrow down, so onlookers would have a great view of the plants.
To do this we simply dug the wheel into the dirt a bit and slid her into place.
We knew the planter might be a little bottom heavy, and we didn’t want the wheelbarrow to ever flip forward. So, we used wire to hammer the back into place. This sucker wasn’t going anywhere.
We included mums, kale, phoenix green, swiss chard, and creeping jenny. They’re all supposed to grow well during these crisper days. We’ll see if we can keep them all alive and healthy!
We think it shows that our house is all ready for the changing season.