Happy Hour No. 30
To us, Happy Hour is a time to sit back, relax, and catch up with friends. It’s a time to chat about everything and anything, and that’s exactly what we bring to DIY Playbook’s monthly Happy Hour.
These monthly posts are a chance to catch up with friends and bring just a little extra happy to your day. So grab your coffee (or champagne) and let’s catch up about our March 2019!
What Casey Loved This Month
- I picked up this primer this month and I’m really loving it. I have a lot of red undertones in my skin and this helps correct that a bit before I put any other makeup on. Plus, I love how soft and ready for makeup primer makes my skin. A good primer at an awesome price point.
- Has anyone else seen the ads for Prose haircare all over the place? It’s been all over my Instagram feed and I was super intrigued by the thought of hair products tailored to your hair needs. You take a quiz about your hair and they create a formula that’s perfect for you. I caved and ordered shampoo, conditioner, and a pre-shampoo mask. I’ll keep you guys updated and let you know how I like it! I also got my mom to order it too, so we’ll see what she thinks.
Sandals // T-Shirt // Sunglasses // Jean Jacket
- We’re heading to Austin next week for my cousin’s wedding, so I wanted to pick up a few spring items. I got these sandals (size up .5), these espadrilles, and this jean jacket (size up) to bring on the trip. I also picked up a few more wardrobe staples from Shopbop, like this gray wrap sweater and this v-neck from Madewell. Both so comfy and perfect work from home wear.
Jeans // Sweater // Sunglasses // Boots
- Remember how I was crushing on these boots in this post? Well, I ended up buying them in black and I wish I would have gotten them months ago. Soooooo worth the price, I’ve worn them continuously.
- It was Finn’s birthday on Sunday, so I got the birthday boy an apple watch and this business card holder. The quality is top-notch and love that you can monogram it.
What Bridget Loved This Month
- I discovered this adorable line for little kids’ tableware + accessories and I’m obsessed! If you’re looking for a gift for a little one in your life, I highly recommend them. Adorable and super nice quality!
- I ordered a family yearbook from Chatbooks to document all of the photos I took of Ben throughout his first year and I’m OBSESSED with it! It was a little pricey but well, well worth the money. I linked it to our family’s Instagram account and the site took care of transferring all of my captions and even laying out the photo. Love it and will definitely use Chatbooks next year to do the same thing.
- I picked up these gym shoes for the spring and I’m loving the blush color. Plus, I got them on sale for $45 & they’re so comfy!!
- Matt and I have been trying to keep Ben’s diet clean so we’ve been spending lots of time food prepping. These veggie-packed muffins are one of our new go-to recipes. Ben & Bridget approved (yes, I eat them too). Ha!
- The trap of turning hobbies into hustles. Such a great read, especially as small business owners.
- Our jaws dropped when we saw Sarah’s stunning (DIY!!!) bathroom transformation. She has so much talent.
- Can you believe what was hidden behind these gorgeous built-ins?! Coolest hideaway everrrrr…
- This kids’ room is adorable, whimsical, and FUN!
- Finally, our friends Kim + Scott, Kyla, and Nicole are having a big flash sale for charity here in Chicago next week. We realllly wanted to join in on the fun and help host it, but unfortunately, we’re both out of town. It sounds like it’s going to be an amazing event and if you’re local you can find some amazing goodies to shop. This post has all of the details, but save the date for April 6th from 9am-1pm at 159 N Racine in Chicago.
Casey’s March 2019
Early in the month, we hit up the WNDR museum here in Chicago with my sister and her bestie. If you’re not familiar with it, it’s an experiential museum where you’re immersed in the art. Kinda hard to explain, so I’ll just share some photos. If you’re visiting Chicago, it’s a must-see. We had an absolute blast taking allllll the photos and I’m pretty sure I overshared all of them on Insta Stories.
Our weekends have been full of open houses and visiting properties with our realtor. It was super fun to hear from you guys on the neighborhoods you love (you can read more on this Instagram post), and we’ve narrowed it down to our top hoods.
We did put an offer on a house earlier this week and lost it, which was incredibly sad. We lost in a bidding war with 2 other buyers, specifically because our offer comes with a sale contingency on selling our current place. That made us realize that it’s probably a good idea to sell our current place, so we don’t run into this same situation over and over again.
It’s been a whirlwind of a week, but we ended up deciding to put our condo on the market…and it just went live today! We’re having open houses all weekend long, so if you’re house hunting (or know someone who is), please stop on by! You can find the details about our place right here and view the full listing! Word on the street, my realtor is planning to have cupcakes and champs for the open house (I’m just sad we can’t stick around to partake in the festivities!).
It’s been a tad crazy (to say the least), but I’m planning to write a blog post about everything for next week to answer some questions (What happens if we sell right away? Are we going to rent? Where will we live? etc.). But I’m hopeful this weekend goes well and we get some offers in!
One more thing from this month….we celebrated Finn’s 32nd birthday! I’ve been lucky enough to have this guy by my side for 15 years (this picture is from Prom in 2005!). If you know Finn in real life, you know that he is basketball obsessed, so this time of year is his absolute favorite. For his birthday, he only ever asks to watch all the March Madness he wants and I happily oblige. He had an awesome birthday weekend watching every single game!
Bridget’s March 2019
How is almost April?! I can’t believe it but I’m so excited because this cold weather has given everyone in the Matk household a case of cabin fever! The good news is that we escaped to Florida this week in honor of Spring Break and the extra Vitamin D is just what the doctor ordered. I promise to have more pics of our vacay in next month’s Happy Hour!
In the meantime, we left just in time to finish up our bathroom. Next week I have all the details on which vanity and faucet we chose and then the full reveal (yay!!) a week after that. Man, does it feel good to check that looming project off of our to-do list and even better to have a functioning bathroom back.
And last, but certainly not least, we celebrated one of my favorite weekends of the year — St. Patrick’s Day! St. Patrick’s Day is filled with lots of family time and traditions. These are two of my favorite things and this year’s celebrations did not disappoint. Plus, the best part was seeing Ben join in on the festivities this year!! Can you even with that little Irish hat?!
I’m Casey Finn, the voice behind The DIY Playbook. I’m married to Finn & mom to Rory and Ellis. Together we’re creating our dream home in Chicago, one DIY project at a time.