Welcome to the very first edition of “The Break Room.” It didn’t feel right to continue with our monthly Happy Hour posts without Bridget, yet I know how much you guys love these casual posts. So I figured a “rebrand” of sorts was in order. We’ll keep the format pretty similar to Happy Hour (and there is now a new section for these posts under the “Life” tab up top), but with a few small tweaks.
What’s The Break Room?
Back when I was working in a traditional office setting, the break room was where I’d eat lunch, chat about anything and everything with coworkers, and even catch up on my favorite blogs on my phone. I know a lot of you are working ladies and you read this blog on your commute to work or on your lunch hour. I figured “The Break Room” could be our spot to catch up about the past month…just as friends do!
So pour yourself a fresh cup of coffee, get cozy, and let’s take a well-deserved break and catch up about May, 2019.
My Recent Buys
- My amazing mother-in-law got me a gift certificate to The Detox Market for my birthday. It’s new-to-me and I pretty much wanted to buy all of the things. Everything on the website is natural and cruelty-free so it’s a good place to start if you’re trying to be greener. I ended up trying out a lot of new products including this mascara, this contour kit, this jade roller, this cc cream, this hair spray, and this dry shampoo. I’ll keep you updated on how I like everything but so far I’m really impressed.
- I’ve been wanting some new jeans for a while now, but I kept putting off getting some because I thought I might get pregnant (we all know how that turned out). I finally decided to start living for the now and get the damn jeans! I got these from Madewell and they’re amazing! I love that they’re super casual, just be sure to size down because they may stretch on you.
- I picked up a few other pieces from Madewell too including this dress (obsessed, so flattering!), this tank, this summer top, and this gold bracelet. Treat yo self!
- Super random, but are there any Yahtzee lovers out there? I had never played, but Finn just got the game and we’ve been having so much fun playing together!
The Click List
- Costly renovation mistakes (I devoured this post since we’re knee-deep in projects!)
- Love Sarah’s designer trick for styling. I don’t print out my photos, but sometimes I’ll take a pic on my phone and I can instantly tell what’s “wrong.”
- My sweet friend, Courtney, gave her bathroom an upgrade for under $1,000. It looks so good and I can’t wait to follow her tutorial to paint bathroom cabinets (I’m planning to do it in the new house while we wait to completely renovate each bathroom.)
- Architects reveal real renovation costs.
- This laundry room makeover is chock full of inspiration. Love the pale pink.
- Things to do for your future-you. Such a good list!
- What NOT to say to someone going through infertility. I couldn’t have written this better myself. A must-read for everyone!
Finn Family Updates – May 2019
Whirlwind. That’s the word I would use to describe the last month for the Finn family. Pardon my french, but holy shit…a lot has been happening! At the beginning of the month, we announced that Bridget was leaving the playbook. Finn and I did so much work behind-the-scenes, prepping the new site and transitioning everything over to my name.
As I mentioned in this post, Finn and I spent the last few months doing all of the logistics for the business side of the separation, but there were quite a few things on my to-do list that could only be done once we announced it here on the blog. Luckily, we got it all handled and I think I finally have it all under control.
Then we closed on our condo on May 3rd, left for a business trip on May 6th, snuck in a vacation to San Francisco, and the day after we returned to Chicago we closed on our new home. Whirlwind, I tell ya!
Our Las Vegas trip was short but packed full of events at the National Hardware Show. Essentially, it’s a yearly convention where companies from the home improvement category come to showcase new and innovative products. There were almost 3,000 vendors, so it was huuuuge and Finn and I spent two days walking around talking to various brands (plus, we got lots of ideas for the new house!)
I was happy to have Finn by my side. I mean, what a trooper he was to take all those days off of work to be there to support me! I don’t know if I could have done it without him and we ended up having a blast together.
I was honored to be a judge for new innovative products and I was also asked to speak on a panel about women in business. I’m not gonna lie, I was a tad nervous about the presentation. While I’ve spoken in public numerous times with Bridget, this was my first time “solo.” Luckily, it all went well and I was able to share my story of leaving my job in television to pursue The DIY Playbook full-time. And once we were finished, I was sooooo relieved and ready for our San Francisco trip (which you can read all about in this post!).
Once we got back from our trip, it was immediately time to start packing up our place. I loathe packing because I hate when things are a mess. I mean, does anyone really like packing?! The hardest part is that we’re moving some items to my mom’s house while our home is being renovated, but a majority of our items are heading to storage until it’s officially time to move in. Figuring out what I might possibly need over the next two months was so hard! How could I possibly pick out all of my clothing for the whole summer? Madness!
Somehow we got it (mostly) done, and we are officially moving tomorrow!!!
One more thing before I go! I’m hosting an event at UNIQLO on Michigan Avenue on Sunday from 1-3pm. Finn and I will be there potting succulents, and I’d love it if you stopped by to say “hello.” Plus, you’ll receive free succulents and a free t-shirt!Casey