Happy Friday! So glad you’re tuning in today because we have a lot to catch up on. Let’s just start with this disclaimer: This past month has been by far one of the craziest months in DIY Playbook history.
We are definitely not complaining and in a sick way, we actually love being busy and productive. But coming from two girls who love checking items off their to-do lists, this May 2015 has been a legit WHIRLWIND.
Last time we stopped by to catch up on life it was the end of April, Casey was just returning from her honeymoon and life was just peachy. Things quickly escalated from there because we were working on Maggie’s condo updates, we squeezed in a trip to Buffalo, NY to makeover a patio, and then hosted HGTV host Chip Wade and the Liberty Mutual Insurance crew for a day of video production at B’s house. On top of all that, we were both working our full-time jobs that ironically are extra busy throughout the month of May (Bridget wrapping up her school year and Casey wrapping up the season for the DIY show she produces). Before we get into all the deets, let’s first get some of this month’s DIY Playbook favorites out of the way.
Our May 2015
Of course leading the charge is the patio makeover we did in Buffalo, NY thanks to Lowe’s! We are SO happy that the Wright family will be spending lots of time outdoors after such a grueling winter. We had such a great time!
Behind that enormous project, here’s what else went on around here throughout May:
- A 60th birthday present for Casey’s dad <– Love this personal and thoughtful gift for someone at any age.
- A DIY gift for new moms
- A mood board for Maggie’s condo makeover (Starting the reveal series next week with the kitchen)!
- Tips on how to decorate a RENTAL Space <– and breaking news that Casey is starting the home buying process!!
- Proof that we actually do workout sometimes (even though we complain every step of the way!)
- Tips to Start the Decorating Process
- Our Photography Tips & Tricks for Bloggers
- C’s Tips on Mexico Travel
- B updated her Gallery Wall
- B also got revenge by making Casey share her hair tutorial!
- And Bridget shared her most hated DIY project… ever. But in the end, it all worked out (thank goodness!)
- We tried our hand at another Patron bottle project <–this one involved fire!
Now, let’s get into the behind-the-scenes information.
1. Maggie’s Condo: Like we mentioned, Maggie’s place is coming together quickly and it is looking FABULOUS! We are SO excited for Maggie and really can’t wait to share how not-so guacamole green it is now. We will reveal Mag’s kitchen next Thursday with a sneak peek (& video!) Wednesday. Plus, the reveal comes with $300 worth of giveaway prizes. Following the kitchen, our plan is to share the living room the following week and then her gorgeous bedroom.
2. Lowe’s: Yesterday’s post pretty much summed up our crazy experience in Buffalo! What a challenging yet exciting opportunity. We are so grateful for the support from Lowe’s & honored for the opportunity to spread the DIY cheer. But don’t be fooled with the hyper-lapse video and pretty before and afters… this project (specifically the behind-the-scenes work leading up to the weekend away) took A LOT of time, which contributed to our crazy-busy month of May. Not in a bad way, it’s just the fact that the organization and planning behind these projects takes time. Like 100+ emails type of extra time. #wellworthit
3. Liberty Mutual Video Shoot: Liberty Mutual invited us to be a part of a video series they are shooting with HGTV host Chip Wade. Of course we were so excited and HONORED to be included and did not hesitate to quickly respond “YES!”. We’ll be sharing the final videos and behind-the-scenes recap of the day (and the 10+ people crammed into Bridget’s 1,100 square ft house) on the blog very soon! Here’s an outtake of us trying to carry Chip. #fail
4. Casey’s Updates: Finn & I are giving our new home search all we’ve got, and I’m not gonna lie it has been pretty emotional. It’s scary and exciting all at the same time. We review properties each & everyday, and have seen a few places in person, but “the one” still hasn’t found us. The craziest part though? It’s a super competitive market here in Chicago. So by the time we review a listing online, and email our realtor to schedule a showing, it is often times already snatched up by someone else! It’s been a bit disheartening, but we’re learning A LOT along the way and we’re confident that we’ll still find our new home over the course of the summer (& of course I’ll keep you guys updated along the way!)
And in more fun news, last weekend we were at the Lake of the Ozarks with my extended family. We rent a house every Memorial Day weekend and have so much fun eating, drinking, and lazing around the lake. It’s a wonderful tradition and was just what I needed to end this chaotic month. Plus, there’s no better way to kick off the summer than with bonfires and s’mores!
5. Bridget’s Updates: Today’s my last day of school….. aka this teacher is out of school for the summer starting at about NOON today. (Insert a string of the happiest emojis everrrr here). I love teaching, but I’m grateful for a chance to recharge my
battery patience. Remember in elementary school when you went for your very last day? Do you remember that distinct feeling of pure joy you got when that bell rang and you were released for SUMMER VACATION? I mean there’s not much in life that compares to that exact feeling. Not to rub it in on my non-teachers tuning in, but that feeling still exists… and you better believe it feels that much more amazing experiencing it as an adult. A two and a half month recess? Meet you on the playground… I’ll be the one who can’t wipe the smile off of her face.
And since this post seems like a potluck buffet, we feel like it’s fitting to remind you guys how much we are grateful for YOU. Thank YOU for taking time out of your busy days to check in on the DIY Playbook, comment, share the love on social media, email us, and just generally support us. NONE of this would be possible without you and for that, we wish we could take all of you out for coffee to chat paint colors, pillow designs, thrift store steals, and anything else that pops up. But because we can’t do that, we hope a virtual hug will do the trick for today. We seriously heart you guys and are so darn grateful to share this journey with you.