To us, Happy Hour is a time to sit back, relax, and catch up with friends. It’s a time to chat about everything and anything, and that’s exactly what we bring to The DIY Playbook’s monthly Happy Hour.These monthly posts are a chance to catch up with friends and bring just a little extra happy to your day. So grab your coffee (or champagne) and let’s catch up about May 2017.
- Finn & I officially booked out trip to Italy in September, so I’ve been on the lookout for things to get to prep for our trip. These shoes are super cute and I’m thinking they’ll be good for walking all around. Plus you know all about my recent love for the color blush! My plan is to break them in now so they’re ready to go by the fall. (Fit Tip: Buy at least a 1/2 size up! These babies are tight).
- Speaking of traveling, I also got these portable chargers for Bridget & I in Iceland. Knowing us we’ll be snapping pics and posting on Instagram throughout our entire trip, and we certainly don’t want a dead phone to stop us from capturing every detail!
- I’ve been listening to the podcast “How I Built This” on NPR and it’s incredibly inspiring. If you’re looking for something new to listen to…check it out!
- I introduced Bridget to this lip stain from Sephora, but I just picked up a new color that she has been wearing and loving. It’s the color “Sweet Raspberry” and it’s the perfect pop of pink! Not over the top “Barbie”, but fun for summer and looks great on blondes. Plus you can’t beat that $14 price tag.
- Splurged on this bathing suit from Athleta! I love it because it’s reversible, black/white, and very sturdy. I love the price of cheap bathing suits, but hate how they fall apart or look cheap after a few washes. I’m looking forward to wearing this quality suit over the summer (& in the Blue Lagoon in Iceland!)
- Saved over $300 by buying my glasses from Warby Parker instead of at my eye doctor, and I can’t say enough about how much I LOVED their process. I brought in my prescription and was able to choose a new pair, add my prescription to the pair, and have them shipped to my house all within 15 minutes! My glasses were $99 (everything included) and they accepted payment from my medical insurance, which was a welcome surprise! To celebrate my savings I bought this quirky accessory from World Market so I don’t lose my glasses. I seriously need one of these in every room of my house!
- I was looking for a pop of subtle color in the bedroom and landed on this bo-ho inspired pillow for the new season.
- Matt picked out pineapple doormat at Target and I couldn’t really blame him because who can resist this adorable and colorful print?!
- Speaking of summer, I am obsessed with the warmer temps here in Chicago! Matt and I were out for a walk the other night and I picked these fresh lilacs, which made our house smell so good. I also found a $14 fiddle leaf on sale at Home Depot and I am determined to keep him alive this time around. #wishmeluck
- This round of the One Room Challenge did not disappoint. Some of our favorites were this pretty nursery from Chris Loves Julia and this stunning bathroom from Bre Purposed.
- Looking for outdoor inspiration? We love seeing updates from two of our favorite backyard projects last year — Julia’s and Kim’s! Both of these talented ladies happen to also be the host of the “A Night In” series that we were honored to take part in this month. Thanks for having us ladies!
- This black & white home remodel is stunning.
- We may have shared this article about successful relationships here on the blog before. But it’s so good it deserves another highlight!
- And speaking of bold color, this moody bedroom makeover is so different and SO cool!
- We’re headed to Iceland toward the end of June and would LOVE your recommendations!! We’ve been doing a lot of research lately and will definitely keep you updated on our travels on our Instagram and here on the blog when we return. But if you’ve been there recently, we’ll take ALL the tips we can get!
May was an interesting month in the Finn household as both my husband and I completed Whole30. I’m planning to publish a post about our entire experience on the blog this Friday, but for those of you who are not familiar…it’s 30 days of no processed foods, dairy, sugar, or alcohol.
It’s intense…but it was also really amazing. Again, I’ll have alllllll the details on Friday but it was by far the most exciting thing happening to us this month (which is kinda sad. haha!). Because of Whole30 we spent most of our days cooking and hanging out at home during May, so not too much to share on my end!
However, both of my brothers, my mom, and my mother-in-law are all moving in the next 2 weeks! It’s just a coincidence that everyone seems to be finding a new place to live all at the same time.
My mom is downsizing from her suburban home, to come live close to all of her kids in the city…and we couldn’t be more excited to have her close! But her big beautiful house is full of furniture, so we’ve been helping her purge and sell 80% of her stuff. It has been a lot of work, but I’m really happy for her. Plus it made for the perfect Mother’s Day to have all of her kids helping her pack everything up. She loves to put us to work on her special day.
And my mother-in-law is moving to Houston so we’ve been helping her as well. It’s just so crazy that it’s all happening at once, but in a few months, everyone will be settled in their new homes.
My biggest piece of news (and by far the most exciting for me!) is that yesterday was my LAST DAY OF WORK for the summer. I’m officially on break from the classroom until mid-August and I could not be more excited for the next two and a half months.
Like we mentioned, Matt and I are heading to Iceland in a few weeks with Casey & Finn and were so excited about that trip. Outside of that, we’re looking forward to relaxing, spending time with family/friends, and enjoying the sunshine! Matt and I sat down to make a summer bucket list so we can keep track of everything we want to do and make sure we actually follow through in taking these little adventures. It’s one of our favorite summer traditions, especially since we are both home for the summer and have lots of time to explore new places.
This past month has been busy with juggling the end of the school year and a lot of blog work. Juggling both is hard so the summer will also be the perfect time to focus all of my attention on the blog, something I’m REALLY excited about!
Other than working, I also carved out family time for Mother’s Day, my mom’s birthday, and a night out with my college friends. As busy as things get around here, it’s always so nice to unplug and recharge with family and friends. And this Chicago weather has made these fun times even better!
We hope you all had an amazing May! I don’t know about you guys but we’re ready to plant our flowers, refresh our patios, and get ready for all that summer has to offer.Bridget&Casey