To us, Happy Hour is a time to sit back, relax, and catch up with friends. It’s a time to chat about everything and anything, and that’s exactly what we bring to DIY Playbook’s monthly Happy Hour.
These monthly posts are a chance to catch up with friends and bring just a little extra happy to your day. So grab your coffee (or champagne) and let’s catch up about our November 2018!
- In our last Ask Us Anything post, we both shared our everyday makeup essentials and I raved about my favorite undereye concealer from Smashbox. Sadly, they’re discontinuing it! I hate when that happens. So I went to Ulta on a mission to find a good replacement. I’ve been using this one so far and I really like it because it’s so moisturizing. No cakey under eyes here!
- As you guys know, I’m slowly trying to replace my toiletries with cleaner versions. I recently purchased this toner and I’m loving it. It’s so inexpensive (and the bottle is huuuuge!) and it gets dirt and makeup off that my face wash misses. Definitely give it a try!
- Finn and I booked a trip to Quebec City for the days after Christmas and apparently it’s sooooooo cold there. So I’ve been stocking up on all the warm things. I recently got this sweater in gray from J.Crew and it might just be the softest thing in my closet. Also would love your recs for Quebec City if you’ve ever been!
- I bought this brightly colored flannel for the cold weather! I’ve paired it with this vest on the weekends and this skirt during the work week. Who knew a flannel could be so versatile?
- I also splurged on this blazer. As you all know, I own it in the camel color (and LOVE IT!). I figured I’d get a ton of use out of the gray option for both work and weekend.
- I’m pretty much in love with all of the Christmas decor at Target by Joanna Gaines. Did you guys hear they’re coming back to TV?!
- Did you guys know that Wendy’s sells a tag for your keys that buys you FREE small frosties for a whole year… starting in 2019?! They only cost $2 (!!!) and proceeds go to the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption. I bought far more than I care to admit for all the milkshake lovin’ people (and kiddos) in my life.
- I love my duck boots so much (especially during these cold and snowy months), I bought Matt a pair so he’s ready to shovel in style. 😉
- Love this kitchen update from the One Room Challenge.
- We’re both big podcast lovers, but are newbies when it comes to being ON podcasts. Until now! Our friend Heidi, from the Heidi Rew show, interviewed us a few weeks ago. You can download episode #58 to hear us. We chat about our awkward high school days, DIY fails, and how we turned our blog into a business!
- We consider Michael to be the “King of Christmas” and the first glimpses of his home decorated for the holidays do not disappoint!
- Why reading is the most intelligent thing you can do. Oh, and if you need a book recommendation this post has plenty!
- Did you see the new Gibson Glam collection? So many of our favorite fashion bloggers (& friends) are a part of it and we couldn’t be prouder. We especially love the Mallory top and Erin lace top!
- Great tips on how to make a floral arrangement using only flowers from Trader Joe’s. Perfect timing with the holidays coming up!
- Bridget has always wanted to paint the exterior of her house, but this post sent her over the edge! Such an amazing transformation!!
- Loving this tour of Ashley Tisdale’s home from Architectural Digest.
Early in the month, Bridget and I had the privilege of speaking on a panel at the eRetailer Summit here in Chicago. Essentially it’s a conference for brands in the DIY & home improvement category looking to improve their online presence. We were asked to speak about the importance of working with bloggers and it was so much fun! We gave out these cookies and they were such a hit. Aren’t these little hammers adorable? They were just as delicious as they were cute! And (obvi) we didn’t make them (if only we had these kind of skillls!). We used 4 Brothers Baking and they did an amazing job!
We also sent out our Christmas cards a few days ago and we love how colorful and fun they are this year! These are the ones we went with and it fit our Kate Spade inspired look perfectly.
As we mentioned in this post, we love getting our cards done way ahead of time so it’s one less thing to do during December. It felt so good to these bad boys in the mail and consider it checked off our list!
Yes, it has been two months since we demoed our kitchen and yes, we are still weathering the renovation.
This month brought a lot of progress, including new cabinets, appliances, and even countertops. But we still have quite a bit on our to-do list. Some of the key things we are waiting for is getting the water hooked back up (I’m looking at you dishwasher!), installing the backsplash tile, the light fixtures, and the floating shelves, along with a few other cosmetic updates like crown molding, paint, and finishing up our window bench.
In some ways I feel like this makeover has been SO long and extremely stressful/overwhelming. Then I focus on the fact that our kitchen is almmooosssttt done and looks SO different. That’s when I think, “hey, living through this construction wasn’t that bad, right?”. It’s funny how your mind plays these crazy games, isn’t it?!
All I know is that the kitchen is one million times better than it was and everything should be done by holiday break. Then I can’t wait to kick back, relax, and then organize all of these gorgeous new cabinets (haha). You know we’re not great at sitting still around here…Bridget&Casey