The Break Room No. 10
Pour yourself a fresh cup of coffee, get cozy, and let’s take a well-deserved break and catch up about February 2020.
My Recent Buys
- This winter (and this pregnancy) is doing a number on my skin. It’s just soooo dry! Earlier this year, I got this face scrubber that I use each night when I wash my face. I think it helps get rid of some of the dead skin cells and takes my makeup off better. Then, I’ve just been using Vitamin E oil slathered all over my face (from Trader Joe’s) and Cerave Night Cream. During the day, I put this Dr. Doug’s balm on my nose because it gets dry and red when I blow it. You can still use code “DIYPLAYBOOK” for 10% off.
- This is a dorky buy that I’ve been chatting about constantly on Instagram, but it’s too good not to include here! I have this neck pad that I heat up in the microwave and place on my shoulders when working during the day. It warms me up when my house is really chilly and the weight of it feels really good. You can also freeze it if you need to ice your neck (or anything else). I look like a dork walking around the house, but it’s so worth it!
- And since I haven’t done much buying (Frugal February!), how about I share some shows I’ve been bingeing? I devoured Cheer on Netflix in a weekend. So entertaining. Then, I also watched the Taylor Swift documentary Miss Americana. I’ve always liked Taylor Swift, but this documentary made me really respect and appreciate her even more. What a strong, courageous, and kind woman! Plus, she still writes every single one of her songs. Love, love, love. And I must mention one of my favorite shows, Grace & Frankie. The new season came out this month and I watched it in about a week. I tried to savor it but just couldn’t wait to finish it up. They crack me up and I’m still amazed that Jane Fonda is 82-years-old!!
- One of my favorite things about The DIY Playbook is my amazing community of readers. I love seeing projects you’ve recreated and answering your design questions. However, I didn’t really have a great place for all of this to live…until now. I recently joined theTUNDRA. It’s a platform designed for enthusiasts and people with specific interests (like design & DIY!). I created a DIY Playbook group and I would love for you to join me there. Of course, I’ll be posting my projects in the group but I want it to be a place where you can show off YOUR home projects, ask questions, put up a poll if you’re deciding between two pieces of furniture for a room, and more. It’s designed to be a place where we can all encourage one another and cheer each other on as we work on our homes. I would love it if you joined my group and started connecting with others in this amazing community of DIY enthusiasts.
Finn’s Recent Buys
- I shared it in my Day in the Life post (thanks for all your love on that btw), but I snack on these nuts all day at work. They’re my favorite go-to snack at work and during DIY. Gives the satisfaction of a little sweetness in the trail mix, but with a lot less sugar.
- I love UNO…all-time classic. But I don’t love the newer versions and I miss that classic feel and look. Problem solved with this deck. DRAW 4!
- My mother-in-law (Janimal) got me this for Christmas and it really is the best grill brush around. It uses a little water and steams the hot grill grates to remove even the toughest grime.
- You will see me wearing these shorts every time we DIY, but also when I work out or go to the store. Great fit, great quality, and very durable!
The Click List
- 10 Best Beauty Secrets from Vogue Videos
- Did you see Anthropologie’s new spring home collection? I adore their unique pieces.
- The best and worst homes in movies. Nancy Meyers always has the most inspiring sets!
- “Why I decided to switch my care from my OBGYN to Wendy from work”. Holy smokes, this article had me in tears it’s so funny (and accurate!)
- This moody living room is a stunner.
- A great breakdown on how to pick a good gray paint color.
Finn Family Updates – February 2020
Frugal February made things a little lame over here, so I don’t have too much to share. We did end up saving a lot of money (you can read my recap here) and had some fun along the way. 90’s night was a huge hit!
The rest of our weekends were spent finishing up our office built-ins. It has been a huge labor of love, but very fun and rewarding. We’ve learned so much with this project and managed to enjoy ourselves along the way. I’ll call that a win!
Other than that, we’ve been checking other items off our baby to-do list. Our baby shower is next weekend so I’ve been busy working on the decor and last-minute touches for that. It should be a special and joyous occasion. I still can’t believe I’m finally attending my own baby shower!
We also completed a bunch of baby prep classes this month (CPR, Hospital Tour, Newborn Care 101, and we have a Breastfeeding Class next week). While we have a niece and two nephews, we had a lot to learn when it came to babies. It’s been nice to take time together to review the essentials. I don’t think any class will prepare us for what’s to come, but it’s always good to have a little more knowledge to boost your confidence! Less than 10 weeks to go until her arrival…
I’m Casey Finn, the voice behind The DIY Playbook. I’m married to Finn & mom to Rory and Ellis. Together we’re creating our dream home in Chicago, one DIY project at a time.