As you all know, we are a part of the Michaels Makers “blog team” and have been a part of this team for over a year now (where did the time go?!). We LOVE being a part of this group of talented bloggers, and had A LOT of fun sharing our projects on the 1st of each month.
Now that it’s been a full year since we joined the Michaels Makers, we wanted to take time out to “regroup” and check-in with you guys. Let’s take a quick stroll down memory lane, and then we’ll update you on the status of this relationship, as well as what we have planned with Michaels over the next year. Shall we?!
Last July we headed out to Napa, California to attend our very first Michaels Makers Summit. This trip was honestly one of the most beautiful, inspiring, and amazing trips we have ever been on (full recap here). Every single detail was beyond creative. We felt like we were living in a Pinterest dream world… leave it to Michaels to bring these creative visions to life! When we left the Summit, we felt so inspired and super excited to get to work.
From there, it was our duty to take the proposed monthly challenge from the Michaels team and come up with a DIY craft project. We then shared these DIY projects here on the blog around the first of every month (unless that date landed on a weekend). Putting our own spin on a theme was a lot more fun than we ever could have anticipated, and even forced us out of our comfort zone at times.
Regardless of the monthly theme, we worked hard to stay true to who we are when it comes to crafts. We love being creative and crafty in our “real lives”, but we also know that it’s unrealistic for us (and many of you) to put hours and hours into recreating an amazing craft we see online. But just because we don’t have a lot of extra time to devote to crafts shouldn’t mean we can’t be creative, right?! <—- this is exactly what we kept in mind as Michaels Makers this year.
Our Mission: Create projects that were clever + creative but didn’t demand a ton of valuable time or money. If we can tackle these crafts, we know that you can too!
- Michaels Theme: Craft Pumpkin Challenge
- DIY Playbook Project: DIY Donut Pumpkins
- Michaels Theme: DIY Halloween Costume
- DIY Playbook Project: DIY Dancing Emoji Costume <— perfect if you’re looking for a quick, affordable, one-stop-shopping costume!
- Theme: Dream Tree Challenge
- DIY Playbook Project: Silver, Gold + Glam Christmas Tree
- Theme: DIY Hostess Gift
- DIY Playbook Project: DIY Instagram Coasters (Additional video tutorial here)
- Michaels Theme: Organization
- DIY Playbook Project: 1 box, two ways (DIY cell phone charging station + DIY Happy Mail Organizer)
- Michaels Theme: Alphabet Soup
- DIY Playbook Project: Knock-off DIY Lucite Letters
- Michaels Theme: Faux Floral Shop
- DIY Playbook Project: 3 Free Gallery Wall Prints
- Michaels Theme: Mother’s
- DIY Playbook Project: DIY Mother’s Day Framed Art Idea for Grandma or Mom!
- Michaels Theme: Try something new!
- DIY Playbook Project: An experiment with Adult Coloring Books
- Michaels Theme: Summer Party
- Project: Dressing up a gift card for every summer party!
- Michaels Theme: Trends
- Project: DIY Tassel Pillows
Looking back at our projects throughout the year, we’re proud to say that all of them fit our original motto, because none of our projects cost a lot of money or demanded a lot of free time. Because we were able to stay true to ourselves as “crafters”, we’re excited to continue with this authentic partnership. We hope to continue to challenge ourselves in sharing relatable, attainable projects for our fellow rookies.
So what’s next? Well, we are headed to our 2nd Michaels Makers Summit next month and we’re so excited! This year’s summit is located in Carmel, California, a place that neither of us have ever been. We’re ready to re-connect with the Makers team and soak in as much creative inspiration as we can!
From there, we will be sharing our projects every other month (so less projects overall…but more time for us to get even more creative with these challenges!).
We strive to continue to share ideas that are attainable, affordable, and most of all fun for our fellow crafters! So bring on those challenges…we’re ready for them!