Happy Hour No. 19
To us, Happy Hour is a time to sit back, relax, and catch up with friends. It’s a time to chat about everything and anything, and that’s exactly what we bring to DIY Playbook’s monthly Happy Hour.
These monthly posts are a chance to catch up with friends and bring just a little extra happy to your day. So grab your coffee (or champagne) and let’s catch up!
- Because I spent most of my month getting shots in my stomach for IVF (bring on the bloat!), I purchased a few new blousy tops to lift my spirits! This springy top makes my heart happy and I love that I can throw it on and feel put together.
- I think I mentioned these new wedges in a previous happy hour post, but I wanted to share them again. They’re so comfy and I’m excited to wear them with everything this spring! These ones from DSW are similar if 6pm doesn’t have your size. These dark jeans are new too and I love the high-waist.
- I also just ordered these slide sandals from DSW. I often feel like I need to buy new sandals every year because mine get pretty beat up. I’m hoping these will be my go-to slides for the coming months because that color goes with everything! I’ll keep you guys updated on how they hold up…
- I loved reading this book about IVF. It shares the real-life experience of a couple who went through 3 rounds of IVF to have their child. It’s smart, funny, and the husband and wife each share their point of view for every step of the fertility process. A quick and good read.
- I still haven’t bought too many things lately, as I’m waiting for my body to be a little bit more “back to normal” before splurging on new clothes. But today marks 5 weeks since Ben was born and I’m excited to hopefully splurge on a few new items soon (Casey and I are sharing our spring wish lists next Wednesday!). But I did buy this pair of black pants and I’m literally OBSESSED! They are high-rise (a priority now), skinny pants with the perfect amount of elastic. They are flattering and feel more like yoga pants than black work/weekend pants. I wish they had other colors because I’d seriously buy them in every color if I could!
- My Gram turned 90 this month (!!) and her kids threw her a surprise party to celebrate. This party required a dressier outfit and I was at a loss since none of my clothes fit quite the same as they used to and I wasn’t in love with the idea of wearing a dress because I’m SO PALE. I bought this peplum shirt to wear with those magic black pants. Peplum is the perfect style to discreetly hide the post-baby mid-section. Now I want to skip the gym and buy peplum shirts for every occasion. Ha! JK… kinda
- Matt and I finally moved out of the basement and up to our Master Bedroom (it’s only been like 6 months!!). We were waiting to buy a new mattress and eventually broke down and bought the same one Casey has (since I love hers everytime I sleep over). I went back to our post about it and used the coupon code, which still works for anyone who may be on the hunt!
- We have a bed frame and now a mattress and that’s literally ALL we have in the master bedroom. I’m honestly a bit stuck on the design for this room and don’t want to rush into the process and have design regret. So my goal is to live in there a bit and then start making some decisions. Stay tuned!
- I’m in one of my best friend’s wedding this June and need a gray bridesmaid dress. I feel like I’ve looked all over and can’t seem to find any gray short dresses! Any suggestions?! I’d love to check them out!!
- Our friend Courtney’s linen closet is serious goals!
- What really happens when you donate your clothing. An interesting read that makes us both want to be veeeery selective with what we buy.
- Love this living room makeover (especially the DIY bookcases!)
- We wouldn’t mind doing laundry if our laundry room looked like this.
- Everything you need to know about millwork in your home. We didn’t know any of this! Thanks for the tips, Sarah!
- How to decorate your home based on your zodiac sign. Not totally sure we agree with our signs’ decor?
- These naturally dyed Easter eggs are simple and stunning.
- Successful women share what age they found to be the hardest.
- If you ever thought of painting your Letterfolk board after seeing inspo on Pinterest, think again!
I was so nervous to share our struggle with infertility on the blog, but you guys blew me away with your support. I planned to spend that day (the day the post published) getting work done in a coffee shop, but I was soon sipping my latte and sobbing into my laptop (true story. Sorry if any Wicker Park readers saw me…). So I packed up and headed home where I could read your touching words in privacy. You guys amazed me with your support, personal stories, and words of encouragement. Finn and I feel so lucky to be surrounded by this inspiring community and I’m feeling relieved that I shared our story with all of you.
But because of our fertility treatments, I have zero cool updates for you! We literally have done nothing exciting in the Finn household. Just about every weekend has been spent relaxing and laying low. It’s Finn’s favorite month (gotta love March Madness!), so I think he likes that we’re staying in, resting, and watching all of the games.
I also must say that I absolutely LOVE having Bridget on maternity leave! I’ve been going over to her house at least 1 day a week to work and hang with baby Ben. It’s awesome to spend time together, work on the blog, and get stuff done…all without having to sacrifice a Saturday (like we used to a couple times a month!). Now we just gotta get Bridget to work full-time with me all the time…
I have to stop and brag about my best friend for a moment here. You guys… how amazing is Casey for sharing her infertility journey with the world? I have so much admiration for Casey on an everyday basis, but her willingness to be so open, honest, and vulnerable by sharing such a personal topic with the world has blown me away. To say I’m proud of her is a complete understatement.
I also have to let you know (because she never will!) how gracefully she continues to handle this heartbreak. She would insist differently, but I am here to tell you that she is a badass and I continue to watch in awe as she takes on each step of her journey with such strength.
Not to mention, she’s been going through this entire process while I have been pregnant. Never once has she been anything but 200% supportive and excited for me. That can’t be easy for her, yet I would never be able to tell because she is ALWAYS excited to hear all about Ben, help prepare the nursery, or talk all things baby with me. I am so lucky to have her as my best friend.
My heart breaks for Casey and Finn, but reading through ALL of your thoughtful comments makes me so happy that Casey is surrounded by such love and support. Like many of you mentioned in your comments, I too am right there alongside all of you cheering and praying for Casey and Finn. The future Finn is already so, so loved and will be so damn lucky to have these two as his or her parents.
I’m Casey Finn, the voice behind The DIY Playbook. I’m married to Finn & mom to Rory and Ellis. Together we’re creating our dream home in Chicago, one DIY project at a time.