Back when I was working in a traditional office setting, the break room was where I’d eat lunch, chat about anything and everything with coworkers, and even catch up on my favorite blogs on my phone. I know a lot of you are working ladies and you read this blog on your commute to work or on your lunch hour. I figured “The Break Room” could be our spot to catch up about the past month…just as friends do!
So pour yourself a fresh cup of coffee, get cozy, and let’s take a well-deserved break and catch up about September 2019.
My Recent Buys
- Our “new” fridge didn’t have working water from the dispenser for most of the month (we’ve since got it fixed!). In the meantime, we used this Brita in our fridge and it worked great. It holds tons of water and it’s easy to pour. And speaking of the kitchen, we also got some of these containers to organize our pantry. It’s looking oh so pretty in there.
- I’ve been lighting this candle all month long and it’s definitely giving me cozy fall vibes.
- I’ve been on a hunt for rugs for around the house. I ended up going with this colorful runner for the kitchen and this one for our master bathroom. I want to slowly find good vintage rugs to replace them, but for now, these inexpensive options are adding lots of warmth and color around here!
- I added dark green curtains to our living room and I absolutely adore them! I got these on sale over Labor Day weekend, along with this rod, these rings, and these drapery hooks. If you want to see my new trick for hanging curtains with drapery hooks, I share how I did it in this Instagram story. I’m planning to also add these curtains to our front windows in the living room, but the shorter rods were back ordered until October. I’ll be sure to share when it’s all complete!
- As I mentioned in this post about my eye makeup routine, I haven’t found a mascara that I absolutely love yet. After lots of your recommendations, I ended up trying out this mascara and I’ve gotta say…it’s great! My eyelashes are looking super long and no clumps. Definitely give it a try if you’re looking for a new mascara.
The Click List
- A living room that’s comfy AND stylish.
- Ashley’s post on securing a permit for her kitchen renovation is thorough (and shows how costly it can be!)
- I enjoyed reading this series showing how to renovate and furnish an entire house for $55k (spoiler alert: it’s tough to stay under that number)
- I may need to whip up this pumpkin old fashioned recipe for Mr. Finn.
- This budget-friendly bathroom is gorgeous. And it’s so genius to use a floor mirror horizontally in this space.
- Major office envy.
- How 25 successful women get their best ideas.
- This post on Instagram etiquette is spot on. Please give it a read (especially the part about sourcing…that’s what irks me the most!).
Finn Family Updates – September 2019
We have been big homebodies this month. And that doesn’t mean that we’ve been lazing around. Instead, we’ve spent every free moment working on the house. It’s crazy how much there is to do around this place now that we’re moved in.
Every Saturday, Finn and I make a big list for the house and try to power through as much as we can. I’ve been sharing a look at our days on Instagram stories and your feedback has been incredible. A lot of the tasks aren’t so glamorous, but I think it’s important to share the reality of being homeowners (and from what I’ve heard on Instagram, you appreciate that!).
So far we’ve…spray painted our mailbox, upgraded our exterior door hardware, replaced our toilet bolt covers, upgraded to dual flush systems in our toilets, replaced the seal on the bottom of the garage door, added under cabinet lighting in the kitchen, and so much more! It’s insane how long the list is each week, but it feels amazing to work our butts off and see the payoff around this place. Every week our home looks better and better.
We also just took the photos for our annual holiday gift guide this past weekend! I can hardly believe it’s time to plan holiday content…but it will be here before we know it. Our annual gift guide is a favorite tradition of mine. It’s a hell of a lot of work, but also incredibly fun (& rewarding) to put together. Be on the lookout for its debut the week of Thanksgiving!
Finally, we have some travel coming up. I’m heading to NYC this weekend with my mom and sister! I have a work event on Thursday night and then we’re going to spend the remainder of the weekend galavanting around NYC. So far we have a ferry ride brunch and show booked, but for the remainder of the time, we’re hoping to relax and do lots of exploring on foot. Let me know if you have any favorite activities or restaurants we should hit up.
Then in mid-October, Finn and I are heading to Austin for a work conference. We were just there in April for my cousin’s wedding and shared our little guide to the city in this post. But I’m sure there are lots of hot spots we missed. Again, we would love your recommendations!Casey