Happy Hour No. 13
To us, Happy Hour is a time to sit back, relax, and catch up with friends. It’s a time to chat about everything and anything, and that’s exactly what we bring to DIY Playbook’s monthly Happy Hour.
These monthly posts are a chance to catch up with friends and bring just a little extra happy to your day. So grab your coffee (or champagne) and let’s catch up!
- I feel like I’ve been buying things all summer in preparation for our vacation to Italy (we leave next week!). I just got this suitcase (size medium in the color “asphalt”) and I’m so excited to use it for the first time. I did a lot of research to find the perfect piece of luggage, and this one has amazing reviews. It’s incredibly lightweight, super stylish, and I’m hopeful it will help this overpacker stay organized!
- Because it’s going to be hot in Italy, I picked up a few basic dresses from Old Navy. Honestly it was the first time I was in there in quite some time and I was pleasantly surprised at all of the cute items I wanted to scoop up. I ended up getting this dress, this sweater (both in above photo) and this striped tank dress. I think they’ll be easy things to pack for Italy and wear all day with sandals.
- I love trying new face masks and this one from L’Oreal is a new favorite. It’s a clay mask and you wear it for about 15 minutes until it dries and hardens on your face. My face feels so clean after I put it on and my pores are looking a lot better since using it. Definitely a fun one to try and very budget-friendly!
- I bought this tie front blouse from Madewell and got a lot of use out of it this month. It’s nice to have a go-to white blouse for layering this fall.
- If you’re looking for SUPER high-waisted jeans that are comfortable AND allow you to splurge on some extra dessert (aka they suck it all in!), these are worth considering. I bought that exact pair this month and loveeee the comfy fit.
- Because I’m OBSESSED with my letterfolk board (check out our Instagram for proof), I splurged on a mini one that was under $40 on Amazon. Now that I found one that is more budget-friendly, I think this may be my new go-to housewarming gift. I’m adding it to my list of fav gifts!
- We love this simple tutorial for a DIY Growth Chart Ruler from our friend Courtney!
- Dear HGTV: Bring Back the Decorating Shows <—yes!
- Dirt is Good! Why you should expose your kids to germs.
- How much is too much when sharing your kids on social media or in the blogosphere? We both listened to this podcast and have a lot to think about before the time comes when we have kiddos to share online.
- Charlottesville: Words Matter (plus, the article includes a list of resources and places to donate)
- An orthodontist office with major style.
- After lots of inquiries, we added a new print to our print shop! Bridget gets so many compliments on this piece over her sofa, and now you can now shop for the farmhouse fence photo right here and the neutral barn photo right here.
- Last but not least…we started our first ever monthly newsletter! If you’re subscribed to The DIY Playbook to receive our daily emails, you’ll now automatically get our monthly one too. We plan to chat about our month, showcase some of our favorite things, and give you a sneak peek into what’s on tap for the next month on the blog. If you want the behind-the-scenes look and exclusive content…click the “subscribe” button on our sidebar or on the bottom of the webpage. Then you can simply add your name and address and you’re all set! It will go out tomorrow morning, so there is still time to sign up!
August really felt like summertime to me, because we were able to squeeze in a few weekend getaways. Every year we do a lake house vacay with my mom’s entire side of the family. My grandma, Meme, always buys a week at the lake as our Christmas present for the year and it’s the perfect gift!
It’s the one time of year when we all get together, unplug for a few days, and just enjoy some much-needed family time. Now that there are 4 great-grandkids it’s even more fun that it used to be.
The kids entertained us the entire time and it was so fun to see them enjoying the sand, swimming, and even their first s’mores around the campfire.
Finn & I look forward to the trip every single summer, and we’re already chatting about where we should all go next year. Finding the perfect house to fit 20+ people is always the challenge, but I’m confident our group will find something good.
Also, thank you for all of your concerns about my back problems! After a couple visits to the doctor and twice weekly physical therapy sessions…I’m finally feeling better. Turns out my left shoulder blade was “winging out” and it was the root of the problem, causing my back and neck muscles to overcompensate. I’m feeling much better and I’m hopeful that I can nip this in the bud in time for our long flight to Italy next week!
I’m happy to report I’ve survived the first few weeks back to school! I’m teaching a “O hour” this year meaning my first class starts before 7am, which has me leaving my house around 6am. As much as getting up early was a bit challenging at the start, I’m so excited for the new routine… mornings are my jam!
I’m also excited to get back-to-school because I love being on a schedule and having a routine. Don’t get me wrong, I love summer too but it’s something about that “fresh start” that has a TYPE A personality like me extra excited. I’m eating healthier, I have a more consistent sleep schedule (probably because I’m exhausted by the end of the day!) and I’m somehow more efficient with my time even though I’m way busier.
The only hard part around this time is juggling the blog while back at work. I put in a lot of extra work behind-the-scenes before I started back so that has helped the adjustment a tad. The beginning of the school year is always so hectic, but now that we are a few weeks in I shouldn’t be working as late.
Even though I still can’t believe it’s almost September, I’m actually pretty excited about it. Fall is coming (our favorite time of year) andddd we have quite a bit of exciting news to share over the next month. To hear a tiny bit more about what’s on tap, be sure to check out our monthly newsletter and stay tuned for an eventful month ahead!
I’m Casey Finn, the voice behind The DIY Playbook. I’m married to Finn & mom to Rory and Ellis. Together we’re creating our dream home in Chicago, one DIY project at a time.