Back when I was working in a traditional office setting, the break room was where I’d eat lunch, chat about anything and everything with coworkers, and even catch up on my favorite blogs on my phone. I know a lot of you are working ladies and you read this blog on your commute to work or on your lunch hour. I figured “The Break Room” could be our spot to catch up about the past month…just as friends do!
So pour yourself a fresh cup of coffee, get cozy, and let’s take a well-deserved break and catch up about July, 2019.
My Recent Buys
- Ever since I started fertility treatments almost two years ago, I have gotten melasma and sunspots on my face. Ugh, the worst. My doctor says it’s because of the hormone fluctuations and that they will continue to happen as I go through treatments and (hopefully) pregnancy. My dermatologist said we can combat it after I have a baby someday, but for now, wearing hats and sunscreen is the best thing to do. I’ve been wearing this moisturizing sunscreen every day and it’s lightweight and non-greasy. If you need a good daily moisturizer with SPF (that’s recommended by a dermatologist!), then this is the one for you. I need to check out their body sunscreen too!
- I’ve read a few books this month. Ask And It is Given is one I’m reading for a new book club I’m in. We all love self-help and “woo woo” stuff, so we figured this would be a good first read. It’s all about manifesting the life you want and I’m loving it! At first, it’s a little intense but it gets better! I’ve really noticed a change in my everyday mindset from reading this book. Also, my sweet friend, Sarah, wrote this amazing design book and there is even a Playbook shoutout in it. So many awesome ideas packed into this book full of eye candy!
- Last year, I purchased these blue light blocking glasses and would try to wear them whenever I had to spend lots of time on the computer. They got lost in the shuffle with our move, but I found them and I’ve been wearing them lately. I highly recommend them (and the price point can’t be beat!). I need to get a hard case for them, though, since I’m always tossing them in my work bag and I’m eyeing (haha) this cheap one!
- My mom wants to get some new pillows for her couch and this Etsy shop has some killer ones!
Finn’s Recent Buys
Finn won’t be sharing his recent buys here every month (unless that’s something you want to see!), but he did just buy a lot of goodies from some sales that I figured I would share with you. That way you can treat the man in your life to something new!
- Finn gets dressed up for work every day, sporting slacks and a button-down shirt. He has had trouble finding shirts that are slim, yet not too short on his arms. He recently purchased a few work shirts and I’ve never seen him so happy about a couple pieces of clothing! He immediately ordered more, including their short sleeve shirt. (For reference: Finn is 6’2″ and he purchased a medium).
- He recently added these shorts to his workout collection and says they’re stretchy and comfy for lounging, running, and working out.
- These sunnies are one of the many items Finn picked up from the Nordstrom Anniversary sale and they’re sooooo good for the price! He also got these joggers, this polo, and these shorts.
The Click List
- I’ve always loved Dutch doors and this DIY tutorial is awesome.
- The best way to chill a bottle of wine quickly.
- Sarah’s tutorial makes me want to DIY some built-ins in the new house.
- What derms really think about pore strips (I’ve always been a pore strip fan, so this was an interesting read!)
- Oh em gee…this kitchen reveal is drop-dead gorgeous (plus, I love that it’s the same flooring that’s in our new house!)
- Office goals right here.
- 20 successful women share their work hacks.
- My friend, Courtney, recently lost her mother to Alzheimer’s. She shared a goodbye post to her best friend and it’s a heartbreaking, yet beautiful, read.
Finn Family Updates – July 2019
Fun. That’s the best word to describe our July 2019. Yes, we had a lot going on with the house renovation (more details coming soon…let’s just say we ran into a few setbacks), but aside from that, Finn and I really let loose on the weekends and packed in lots of fun with our family and friends.
We kicked off the month visiting our friend’s lake house in Michigan for the 4th of July weekend. It was an absolute blast and felt so nice to get away. They don’t have wifi or cell reception there, so it’s freeing to put the phone away (well, we did use it to take a few photos!). The water was bathwater warm and we spent the entire day just floating and hanging out with friends. We capped the night off with s’mores around the campfire. It was the ultimate way to kick off the month.
One Friday night, we headed to the suburbs for a big sleepover with old friends (or do you call it slumber party? There was a big debate on Instagram!). As I mentioned in this post, I have three girlfriends who were my neighbors growing up. We get together for sleepovers with our significant others every few months and trade-off hosting.
We’ve always been four very different girls with different jobs/interests/etc., but somehow when we all get together, it just works. Our boys even get along wonderfully. We stayed up until 3:30 am (who am I??? I’m usually in bed by 10:30 pm!) and we laughed and laughed. It was a night that was good for the soul, that’s for sure! I’m hopeful our house will be ready to host the next sleepover.
We celebrated my nephew’s 4th birthday party this month too. It was a hot day and Finn decided to start a big water fight with all of the 4-year-olds. It was hilarious and he spent a good two hours running around the backyard getting hosed by these kids. I stayed dry with my little niece, Janie, on my lap. She is a doll.
We’ve also been enjoying our time at Hotel Jan. Finn has been a grilling machine (in fact, I have a grilling video coming to the blog next week!) and we’ve spent a lot of time up on her amazing rooftop. The views are insane and we can hardly believe that none of her neighbors ever use this sweet spot.
July felt really, really good, just like summer should feel.Casey